Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Yes, Checkout Person at Publix, I will be doing a lot of baking this weekend."

Ok, so my latest insanity is a wedding cake for some friends of mine
who are getting married this Saturday.  

Don't ask me why I thought I could pull off a wedding cake, like for a real wedding,
but I did.  

So, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of what cake-making looked 3 days out from the big day.


First of all, there are a lot of ingredients in a 3-tiered wedding cake.

Like eggs, many dozen eggs.  

And cake mixes.
( Because this isn't the Food Network you know.)

And enough butter to cause cardiac arrest just looking at it.
(And this isn't even all the mixes and butter.)


Plus pounds of powdered sugar and marshmallows. 



Step 2
Flip gigantic cake layer over (more of a feat than it sounds)
and let it cool for at least two hours.
This was a definite exercise in my very limited patience.  But it was worth it.

Step 3
Repeat and begin frosting layers.
(And watch kitchen slowly dissolve into a disaster area.)

Step 4
Soak in my precious children.
(A Big Ol' "Thank ye!" to my kiddos for being so much better behaved
than anyone should expect them to be today!)

Step 5
Begin assembly of bottom tier.
(Yep, only two more to go.)

Step 6a
Notice strange burning smell.
Open oven.
Discover that tier 2 is just going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I mean, seriously.

Step 6b
Stop everything in order to clean out as much of this mess as possible 
since bride didn't order a mesquite-flavored wedding cake.

Sigh.

I truly believe I could make it in my sleep.)


Step 8
Fondant.
I will discuss more about that later, 
because frankly, I am not far enough removed from it to discuss it without twitching.  
(However, I should have the most amazingly toned upper arms known to man 
after trying to get this stuff the right size.)

Step 9
Roll fondant over Tier 1 and call it a day.

Whew!  What a day.  But I am loving it!  
I'm can't wait to see how the final product turns out.  
It may be Saturday night before I get final pictures up.  
I'm not sure the bride wants everyone to see it before her big day.
Thanks to all of you who have been cheering me on!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I SO want to take a cake decorating class! If this nursing thing doesn't work out for me I want to make cakes like Duff.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about my thoughts.




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP