Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Seriously, are you serious?

I'm exhausted. It is ten minutes after 1pm and I'm just flat out pooped.

I really don't like the last three or four days before Christmas. I love from Thanksgiving till the 19th and adore Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but these few days when I have a list a mile long and absolutely not enough time in the day I dislike.

So today was "get it done or quit day." I had a few things I had to get done or it was pointless for me to even begin. So, as you may or may not know, when you have little ones you must plan carefully for "errand day." This was my first mistake. A lack of planning. You see, the our little tribe is down to one automobile. And the 4-wheeled chariot that I speak of is not ours it is a rental. And it is not just a rental. It is the "my insurance will cover only up to $30 per day, gimme the $30 car" car. A Dodge Charger (shiny rims not included).

Now , I have to admit, there is more room in this little coupe than one would imagine. In fact, if it wouldn't be wrong and the kids could ride in the enormous trunk, we'd be set. However, three children, ages seven and under, with carseats all jammed, er, I mean lined up in the back seat is another blog in itself. Which reminds me, I'm off track.

So I got up this morning (late) because I didn't plan and got the kids breakfast started. Breakfast that consisted of leftover french bread from last night that I sliced and covered with butter, cinnamon and sugar. Fixed Daddy's Girl's lunch and got everyone dressed temperature appropriate. Got myself dressed, haven't had a shower since Sunday, but dressed, face washed and teeth and hair brushed out of the bit of consideration I have left for others. Made sure to grab wallet and phone and concealer/mascara/lash curler(I mean really!). Kid's bag had diapers and wipes in it (score!) and I filled and packed 2 sippee cups! Yea me!

So the entire tribe heads to car. "Do you have house keys?" "DG get in the car." "Sit still." etc. etc. etc. And we are off, Christmas music playing. Drop DG off at school. "love you have a great day." Drive Mr. W to Daddy Dome where he has to go in to get something for me. "I wanna go with Daddy!" After stating he couldn't get things done with Little Prince, he quickly saw the error of his statement and took LP with him (without my prodding or daggers from my eyes-thankyouverymuch.) Sunshine and I sit in car and wait and soon LP and Daddy return and we are off again.

Hot rod is almost out of gas. I did remember to grab cash from the Ramsey-friendly cash folder and so we stop. Lock kids in car (did I?) and take cash in. Pump and we're off. Went to the church for a quick stop where LP was entertained by our pastor and a impromptu call from "Santa." Had to use the laminator so I barracaded our little crew in the work room and gave LP the carpet sweeper, which he kept picking up and "placing" on the carpet so that the crap in it kept falling out. But they were pretty well behaved and we finished and headed out to the car. Got in and off to Kinkos.

Arrived at Kinko's where I quickly sidestepped the shady man with crazy hair that decided to watch my son rummage through the candy bin. The sweet man who always helps me (sans children) took my instructions and I walked around the store SS on hip and LP surprisingly content to point out everything he saw instead of pushing it to the floor. Sweet man had to ask several questions about binding the booklet I had given him. He obviously didn't catch the "I could care less if it is even or flush or perfect--bind it quickly before little man here passes the point of no return" tone in my voice. (By the way--UPS just arrived, all our Christmas packages are home!) So anyway, we got finished and LP almost knocked over the card rack on our way out, but we made it.

A quick run through the drive-thru at the bank and we are off to Target where we pick up a few last minute things for Christmas (you know the stuff you have to shove under the buggy undetected). Of course when we get in there we must wipe down the buggy with the Purell wipes that brilliant customer service people leave buckets of at the entrance (I love you!). We get our items and it is last stop to pick up our 4--that's all--4 pictures for sweet Granny down in Floridy! Get the envelope, pay for all my items ("look over there LP") and head out. Wait, no card for Granny. Ugh! We'll have to get one and go back through the checkout. No big deal. So I stop to look through my precious pictures before we pick out a card. Awwww, LP, the kids with Santa, SS.....Daddy's Girl? Where is DG's pic? Turn around, back to the counter. Gotta call E-the photo lady. E is working on a chemical spill. E shows up (not washing her hands-yikes) and explains that she can try to resend it, but they are backed up and it will take about an hour to an hour and a half. Seriously? I didn't loose my cool, although LP and SS were beginning to loose theirs since it was lunch time and I forgot to grab the well-packed bag off the kitchen table. "Do you have the original with you?" "Yeah, in the car." "You can print it at the 'instant-picture-station'(my words) if you want." "OK." Back out to the car. Get USB dealy and back into Target. I decided I'd get the change in my purse and get the kiddos some popcorn to munch while we picked out a card and it would be ok. So I go in, print photo, go sanitize hands, into the snack place...no popcorn. Are you serious?!!! Forget it. No popcorn, no card, no post office trip...probably no Christmas gifts on time. Home to feed two fussy, sleepy, spent children and one fed-up mom. Now we're fed, they are sleeping and I'm going to wrap my UPS deliveries! Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about my thoughts.




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP