Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I not..."

We are seven years into this parenting thing, but if there is one thing that I have learned is that it is cyclic.  A precious friend and fellow mother gave me sage advise when we had Daddy's Girl.  I will never forget her telling me that no matter what the stage my children were going through, love it or hate it, it will pass.  So true.

The newest stage in the "Tribe" home is with our Little Prince.  Now two years and eight months, his favorite declaration is "I not...".  

"LP, pick up the toys."
"I not."

"LP, stop hitting your sisters."
"I not."

"LP, don't pull down everything that is up and throw up everything that is down."
"I not."

What "I not" essentially means is "I don't want to."  And he truly believes this magic phrase will release him from any responsibility to follow the requests/commands/ultimatums .  Now although I am completely opposed to this behavior from my son, I have begun wondering how it would work for me.

Due date for bill payment.
"I not."

The relocation and reconfiguring of my entire postpartum body.
"I not."

The uncanny wake-up call EVERY STINKING MORNING before 7am.
"I not."

The goliath pile of self-procreating dirty laundry.
"I not."

The quickly fleeting years of my children's "little years."
"I not."

The passing of those dear to me.
"I not."


So far, it isn't working.  However, give up?  "I not."

1 comment:

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about my thoughts.




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP